Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Last Day and no Shades of Grey


Check out that blue baby!
By the end of the trip there we had pretty much
conquered every part of the ski area.  This area was by
far our favourite and we were nearly alone there too. 
Check out that view!
And so came the end of our girls ski holiday.  The last day was nothing short of magnificent.  The sky boasted various shades of bright blue, and the fresh powder that fell the night before made for an 'epic' ski day (tis Canadian ski day lingo).  Bluebird is another term we use to describe this sort of day.

We shared a lot of laughs, often at our own expense.  On the way back we reminised about some of the most amusing moments.

One of the more amusing things for me was to witness Claudia explain to the many hotel guests that "of course we had a suite, as we were not a couple or anything."  In all fairness the breakfast room was rather populated with a generous representation of men ready to take on the infamous "white ring."

Overall our trip went without one hiccup.  That was until the ride home.  After a day of skiing and evening sauna we opted for the late train home. Snacking on our Austrian treats we recapped the highlights. It wasn't before long that we noticed we were in Bregenz, instead of heading to Zurich.  We stopped a fellow who was working on the train and asked what was going on.  Certain all was okay, we were convinced the guy was merely joking when he said we were in the wrong part of the train when it separated.  

So we disembarked and made our way to the closest bar and ordered a wine.  Claudia grabbed every schedule she could find while I enjoyed the fact that a plan of hers had not panned out the way expected (I am not trusted to make plans you see).   In the end the train came.  Our luggage was heavy.  Mine particularly so with my Stroh's stash, ski boots, and the million clothes I brought but never bothered to wear.  I also had a ski bag on my shoulder.  A security guard came to my rescue and insisted he load my suitcase in the train for me.  The best part was when he couldn't do it and I had to rescue him instead.  Laughing until we cried we made our way to the restaurant car.  As we enjoyed the Swiss landscape from the window I teased Claudia about the fact her flat did not have an elevator.  The joke was on me when I can home to discover that my elevator was out of service.  

I loved this sign.  Sausage and beer breakfast.  I found it at one of the many 'huts' in the area.That is something that you would NEVER see in Canada! 


Although our plan to read a million books was thwarted by the fatigue of long, but awesome ski days and our evenings out often ended before they began with lights out at 22:30, we still feel like we did it all.  We made some new friends, we learned to ski better and even more importantly, two friends actually enjoyed each others company until the very end!  Woot!


Look, I know what to do with my poles now!  
Seems my ski lessons paid off :)


Happy Me :)   I am not sure why, but skiing makes me happy.  
I am not the best skier by an stretch of the imagination, 
but once I am on the hill the stress of life is a distant memory.

We paused to enjoy the sun while I took a couple of work calls.  
I loved my new office!

Stroh's and hot chocolate!  I fell in love.  
Claudia was emphatic that my skiing improved with each one :)

Apres ski?  When in Rome as they say…  I am not sure if the photo is blurry or we were!



We absolutely loved our stay at das Georg and plan to return soon.
The problem with the ski huts is that space is at an absolute premium,
so you make new friends with each hot chocolate whether you wish to or not!
I was the only one without sunglasses and completely blinded.




The consummate planner, I never have to bother with the where/when as Claudia likes to have all that under control.  However, when our train separated and we ended up spending a late night in Bregenz instead of home in Zurich she simply could not get her hands on enough train schedules to mull 
over with her wine

No comments:

Post a Comment