Thursday, November 1, 2012

Getting it Right


Yesterday was kind of a big day for me.  Something that I had been working towards came to a pivotal point.  Whether it went one way – or another was to be seen.  As chance, fate and luck would have it – it went the way I wanted.

However, the busy month had taken its toll.  I was a unique combination of exhausted and hyper.  I wanted to do something that evening but I wasn’t really sure what.   

One of the best things about moving to Zurich is the people that I have met.  My BFF Zurich friend knows every teeny tiny detail about my life – and I his.  I met him pretty much the day arrived here and he quickly became my anchor.  Someone I could count on through the good, the bad and the ugly. 

Lucky me.

Just over two months ago I met someone else who has also become quite special to me.  As I paced the floor somewhat agitated they arrived with a bottle of wine that kicked the butt off of anything I had in house. He ordered me to sit, sip my wine and tell him about what was going on in my world.  So I did.

“Dawn, I am proud of you,” he said.

Truth was, I was kinda proud of me too.  It isn’t easy moving around and making your way in a foreign place.  So as cheesy as those words were, they were also exactly what I needed to hear.  The agitation disappeared and I let the words warm me a little.

My phone buzzed with some texts from my son, Zurich BFF and others.  I sipped my wine, smiled at my friend and read my texts.  What a day…

In life we get to choose the company we keep – and that is about it.  I have been alone, and I have been lonely.  I have made decisions for the right reasons and the wrong.  I have made mistakes – sometimes the same ones repeatedly.  I have spent time with people who didn’t deserve it and neglected those who did.  But it was in this moment that I realized - I had gotten it right. 

2 comments:

  1. I used to enjoy reading your column in whichever Kelowna paper used to carry it and have missed it since it's no longer there.
    While browsing/wasting time I came across your Twitter and followed it here. I was wondering where you went.
    Your closing paragraph is beautiful. Sentences 2-5 could be unfiltered thoughts I revealed to a ( very talented) ghostwriter only to see them appear poetically in print as my own- and the 6th fills me with a hope I never knew I had. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mike. That moment was a pretty special one for me.

    ReplyDelete