Sunday, September 16, 2012

Leaving on a Jet Plane


There are few things I suck at more than goodbyes.  I loathe them.  I do not like what they stand for – and I cannot handle the emotional charge that is behind them.  At my last job, on the last day of work I had to wear sunglasses and utter sentences that were no longer than three words long.  And I refused to say goodbye – and instead “see you soon.”

Those closest to me know to not sign off an email with a traditional “close” or signature.  It is final for me; I prefer instead to have a sense of a conversation that is ongoing. I believe the same sort of thing about a relationship.  Why say goodbye?  Instead let time see if it can evolve it into something that works better than what you’ve previously shared. 

Nothing is testing my dislike of goodbyes more than my current lifestyle.  When I left Austria I just sort of disappeared, there one day and gone the next.  My intention was, and is to return – so why say bye?  Now here is Switzerland I share a circle of friends that are all a little like me.  They could be here one day and then gone the next.  No one gets a chance to say goodbye.  Perhaps in some way this is good.  What do you say?  What can you say?  To live a transient sort of lifestyle you tend to try and stay positive. It is kind of an unspoken rule.  Goodbyes only reinforce the fragility of our day-to-day life.  So we don’t do them.

But in many ways I would like to wish these people who were once an important part of my life all the best on their new journey.  And let them know that they will be missed.

So in keeping with the Canadiana music theme, I thought I would include another tune from a Canuck. (just make sure to forward through the cheezy intro :)




Zum Wohl

No comments:

Post a Comment