Saturday, September 15, 2012

Famous Canadians for 50

It happens. I inevitably get challenged to produce a list of well-known Canadians, and more in particular those found on the music scene. Little do people know that many of the familiar tunes over the years are the result of a Canuck or two.

With the exception of maybe Nickelback, Mr. Bieber and Carly Rae Jepson, Canadian bands tend to launch onto the scene with slightly dark or somewhat odd or goofy lyrics. I think anyway. Let's take note of Barenaked Ladies "If I Had a Million Dollars" or or Shania Twain's "That Don't Impress me Much." Don't forget the classic moodiness of Neil Young, or Avril's angry teenage angst.

But has any musician shared their pain or anger as well as Alanis? None come to mind at the moment.

Eventually most successful Canadian bands kind of "pop" out - and who can blame them?

So I will leave you with a couple Canadian tunes - Alanis, and one of my all time favourites...

And hey - if you are ever in the mood to play famous Canadians for 50, let me know ;)




ps.  I just realized my son would kill me if I neglected to mention Deadmau5.

Cheers,

Dawn


No comments:

Post a Comment