Thursday, February 9, 2012

Simple & Complicated

“What is this that you speak of,” he asked.

I am trying to have a phone conversation a friend. I speak in English and he in German. The reason for this is simply because my German is as poor as his English and this is how we communicate. The most amusing part is that we primarily only talk on the phone or text. It makes completely no sense I know – but that is partly what makes it so enjoyable. Neither of us fully understands the other so our conversations are both simple and highly complicated. Sometimes when I master a difficult phrase or word I will try it out on my phone pal. Today I was particularly proud of a phrase that had been giving me trouble for months. I shared with pride my recent linguistic achievement. Unimpressed and bewildered with my prounciation my phone pal quickly asked me to explain what I was trying to say.

So I did. In English. His reply? “Stop! This is too much English for me in five seconds.”

Like I said, I have no clue why we subject our selves to this ridiculous communication. The only thing I really know for sure is that if the future of the universe rests on the two of us having effective communication, ya all would be in whole lotta trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment